Beyond the thought

Hi!!!!!

I have been thinking for long time now to start my own blog about my journey in education as a married Indian women, and try to reach out to a wider audience and hopefully help and motivate anyone who is thinking of going into education. Whether this is as a mature student or regardless of age to college or university to achieve their dreams. I wanted to share my journey and my life experiences, studying to become a young professional, more so a dentist. I know in some minority of the Indian culture education is still very much a taboo subject, especially for women after they are married as many think that their duties and priorities lies in serving there husband and new family. Whereas, education is a must for men, an almost privileged benefit for a male but a mere thought for a women. My blog name 'beyond the thoughts' came about when I wanted to live my dream and pursue my career as a dentist. Originally becoming a dentist was a just a mere thought, a thought that I once believed that could never become true.
 
Going back to my high school years, after completing various work experiences, my time in a general dental practice is where it became apparent that dentistry was the career choice for me; I could see myself doing what the dentist was doing. But I was made to believe by my teacher that university favours students from a private education, I would have to be an outstanding student and come from a well off background, having well educated parents- who possibly was dentists themselves. Well that cut me off straightaway, as I didn't meet any of those criteria’s!
When it came to education I gave it 110% and always tried my best and when I was in high school, dentistry was mainly aimed at those who were head boys and girls, the popular students, who probably were made to do dentistry or medicine because there parents made them. Only a minority chose to do it by choice. The average students like me didn't even get a look in, just left to do what they wanted, and fall into a career. Therefore, I knew I was up against the popular students in my sixth form, most importantly against the head of sixth form!

The head of sixth form always rejected my idea of an application for dentistry, even talking to her about it, I felt so scared to open my mouth and utter the word dentistry, it almost felt like I committed a murder. It was such a horrible feeling when I had to wait out of her office, waiting to be summoned in and knowing what to expect. She never took a liking to me and this was evident every single time I met her, I don't know why she was like that, I wasn't a bad student. She always headed me back to the careers office to have a meeting with the careers adviser, who I thought was weird and had no idea what he was doing. I became a regular visitor, almost a part of that office furniture in a weird way. Every time I went we'd just go in circles and circles, he would try to convince me that dentistry wasn't for me and talk about careers that realistically I never wanted to do! He would make me feel like crap and basically worthless. I'd sit there and just agree so I could leave.
Anyhow I completed A levels in Art, Business Studies and Punjabi, and I walked away knowing that I wasn't going to university because my dreams of going on to become a dentist wasn't going to happen. It was so hard watching all my friends celebrating who got into university; it made me feel so worthless. 

By now I felt a bit clueless to as what direction to take, then an opportunity where I did my work experience at a general dental practice came for a dental nurse. So I began working as a dental nurse for about 4-5 years and loved every moment of it, not only was I working in the environment I loved and but most importantly wanted to be in. 
It wasn't easy as every time I looked at the dentist working a part of me used to get really upset and say I want to do that because I truly knew I could do it. So I plucked up the courage, went back to college and completed my Biology and Chemistry A- levels.  The college tutors were very supportive and I wish I never stayed on in sixth form and had gone to college instead. 
I applied to study dentistry and was rejected four times by all my four choices, despite having my A levels. When I used to contact the universities for feedback they used to tell me that its really competitive etc. So I bit the bullet and had a career change and honestly thought that having all this thought into dentistry maybe it’s not for me. I went on to study Pharmacy, which I graduated with a Masters with a distinction. I loved my time at university and my course, but for some reason it just wasn't dentistry, it didn't give me the same feeling as dentistry did. I worked as a pharmacist and got married, but was unhappy in my job, as I wasn't happy doing what I loved to do. For me dentistry was just a vivid dream and a mare thought that took permanent residency in my brain, which nagged me on a day-to-day basis. So I decided to apply to study dentistry after leaving dentistry behind nearly 7 years.
Truthfully, I had many knock backs from people telling me I can't do it, I'm never going to make it and am going to get rejected! At times I made myself believe that because what happened in the past and that's how people around me made me feel, laughing behind my back as they believed they proved a point. But I got up and faced my demons and proved them wrong! I told myself I can do this! The struggle has been long, but hand on heart it has been well worth it!!! I am now at dental school studying dentistry!

I feel there is not much guidance or actual real life situations/scenarios where someone can actually talks about it openly. To help someone relate and somehow or even just to help overcome the negative thought and allow them to move that negativity into their first step towards reaching their dream! I know when I was in the dark I had no one to turn to or talk to about it. It felt like I had to struggle all by myself.

I sit here and write this blog because no matter how long it takes you, if you believe in yourself you can do something then do it! I'm telling you can do it! I did it! Don't let anyone stop you and don't let your dream fly away- you will regret it!  My journey getting into dental school has been hard (but that's for another blog). There have been days where I wanted to pack it all in and give up!  I have cried my eyes out numerous times behind closed doors so no one could see my weakness, fighting myself and believing that what others said was true- But no I got up and I did it! 

Leave me comments on how you guys are finding the whole process of applying to universities, whether it be dentistry or another course. Any questions comment below more than happy to help!

Hope I have helped someone out there, its not the end of the world! Let me know what you guys want to read about next. Until the next blog! 

https://uk.pinterest.com/misssampayne/marathon-training/
From: -https://uk.pinterest.com/misssampayne/marathon-training/
Beyond the thoughts X

Comments

  1. Hey! Ive still got my offer to do Dentistry but didn't take my exams last year due to imense anxiety! Im doing my exams this year and hopefully able to control my anxiety! Have you got any tips about what would help me with my anxiety and focus? Thanks and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dafydd,
      Thanks for taking time out to read my blog! I can understand the pressure because I have been in that situation. I would recommend that you plan and organise your revision well in advance, giving you plenty of time to take in the knowledge for the exams, and honestly just believe in yourself that you can do it! the dental school liked you reason why they offered you a place. Focus on your determination and you will suceed!
      Understand what makes you anxious and try to over come it, one thing I did was to not to over think things as we ourselves make things complicated and get stressed out. The uni chose you out of hundreds- so you have the quality to suceed!

      I hope this helps you in someway, let me know how you get on.

      Beyond the thought x

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    This blog post is definitely very inspiring and has motivated me so much more to carry on working hard and head to the direction that I want to without hesitating. I just wanted to know about what kind of work experience interviewers look for in University? I would really appreciated it if you checkout out my blog and gave me so feedback on it as well: http://selinavaheed.blogspot.co.uk/ http://selinavaheed1.blogspot.co.uk/
    Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina

      Thank you for your kind words :)
      I believe universities now recognise that people find it difficult to gain work exerience in dental practices. So they are quite open to other forms of experiences not in the dental setting. As long as you show and recognise importance of skills such as communication, patience, empathy etc they are happy with that. But ring around dental practices and ask work experience or even in hospital!- Unis love voluntary work!!!!!
      I wish you all the best and let me know if you need any more advice more than happy to help!
      X

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment